In Krabi province, in the south of Thailand, tourists are greeted by enormous rock formations which tower over a turquoise sea, fabulously beautiful bays, white sand beaches, and coral reefs with many astonishing inhabitants. There are more than 150 islands and several mainland tourist destinations in Krabi. This article will cover how not to get lost in all this diversity, and how to choose exactly the right destinations to suits your preferences.
In this article you will learn:
Where is Krabi on the map of Thailand
Krabi Province is located in the south of Thailand. Its beaches are washed by the waters of the Andaman Sea. The most popular tourist destinations in Krabi province are:
- Ao Nang, the tourist town
- Phi Phi Islands,
- Railay Peninsula,
- Koh Lanta Island.
Adapted from maps ©OpenStreetMap.
Popular Krabi islands, where you can stay in a hotel
Paradise Koh Phi Phi islands
Phi Phi Islands (correctly pronounced Pi Pi) are famous for their beautiful bays and the fact of their appearance in the film "The Beach" with Leonardo DiCaprio.
- Phi Phi Islands is a group of six islands. There are two main islands (Phi Phi Don and Phi Phi Ley) and four tiny ones.
- All of the hotels are located on Phi Phi Don Island. The center of Phi Phi Don Island is noisy due to discos and bars.
- The most picturesque island is Koh Phi Phi Ley, with its famous bays. It can be reached via the following guided tours:
Ko Lanta island
Koh Lanta island will appeal to those who like to enjoy beautiful sunsets and a relaxed unhurried beach holiday:
- Koh Lanta has many hotels on the beachfront, with rooms at reasonable prices.
- Read how to get to Koh Lanta in the article From Krabi to Koh Lanta.
Tiny Ko Ngai island
Koh Ngai Island - This tiny island in the south of Krabi province may be of interest to lovers of solitude. This is a great place to visit to relax far away from from civilization and crowds of tourists:
- There are only 12 hotels on Koh Ngai.
- The most convenient way to get to Ko Ngai is by boat transfer from Trang or Koh Lanta Island:
- Koh Ngai can be visited via a tour from Koh Lanta.
Popular mainland tourist destinations in Krabi
Railay is often called an island, although it is actually just a peninsula that is separated from the rest of the mainland by high cliffs. Railay is famous for its picturesque cliffs and beautiful beaches.
If you want to enjoy the beauty of Railay without crowds of tourists, you can stay at one of the 18 hotels on the peninsula. Then you can enjoy walking on the beaches early in the morning, or at sunset, when most of the tours have already left.
All tourists get to the Railay peninsula by the sea:
- on wooden boats from Ao Nang town, from Ao Nam Mao pier or from the pier in Krabi town,
- on the ferry from Koh Lanta, Phuket and Phi Phi (it is convenient to buy tickets at the GetYourGuide website),
- with a tour to 4 Krabi islands from Ao Nang and Krabi town, which also includes visits to beaches on the Railay Peninsula,
- during the excursion to Krabi from Phuket.
Ao Nang Town
Ao Nang - This town is a tourist settlement on the shore of the Andaman Sea, which is a favorite vacation spot for budget travelers:
- A large selection of hotels (especially budget hotels) will satisfy the cost-saving needs of budget travellers for an affordable seaside vacation.
- There are many eateries, cafes and restaurants in Ao Nang, so it’s hard to stay hungry,
- Beaches in Ao Nang are not very good. So, in order to see Krabi's famous, clear waters and beautiful beaches, it is worth going to the neighboring islands or to the Railay Peninsula.
Popular Krabi islands that are worth a visit
The province of Krabi, first of all, is famous for its incredibly beautiful beaches on remote islands where there are no hotels. You can get to these islands with excursions from Ao Nang (and Krabi town), or from the islands of Koh Lanta or Phuket.
- Must-Visit Islands - Ko Poda and Ko Tub:
- Also worth visiting, is the picturesque island of Ko Hong:
- To see an extraordinarily beautiful underwater world, plan a trip to Koh Rok:
Why you can't visit "Krabi Island"
The fabulously beautiful and tropical "Krabi Island," with its white-sand beaches and dramatic cliffs soaring out of crystal clear, turquoise water, is a myth. Tourism marketing and advertising has ruthlessly mixed, spliced, decorated and over-photoshopped these images.
All this has led to confusion in the minds of tourists who are planning a fabulous holiday on the "Island of Krabi." And some tour agents still send tourists to this mythical place.
Staying on the "Island of Krabi" is impossible because there is no such island. There are a hundred and fifty islands in the Krabi province. At some of these islands, you can find hotel accommodations. At others, you can visit on a guided tour to relax on the white sand beaches for a couple of hours. But all these wonderful places are different islands with their own names: Phi Phi Don, Ko Poda, Ko Rok, Ko Ngai ..., and not "Krabi Island."
Great things to do in Krabi
Do you like this article? Share it or save for later: