The waters of the Andaman Sea are between Phuket and one of Thailand's most beautiful islands, Koh Lipe. The distance between the two islands is about 180 km if measured straightly across the sea. It takes at least 5 hours to get from Phuket to Koh Lipe. In this article, you will find answers to all your questions. What type of transport is better? How expensive are tickets? What is the duration of the trip? How easily plan your trip from Phuket to Ko Lipe or vice versa? How quickly to buy all tickets?
From this article you will know:
- The fastest way to get from Phuket to Koh Lipe
- The most convenient way to get from Phuket to Koh Lipe is available all year round
- The cheapest way to get from Phuket to Koh Lipe
- Additional expenses for a Phuket - Koh Lipe trip
- Things to do in Koh Lipe - interesting excursions and activities
- How to get from Koh Lipe to Phuket
The fastest way to get from Phuket to Koh Lipe
A speedboat will take you from Phuket to Lipe Island in about 5 hours. Passengers will have a rest and can take a short walk on solid ground during a stop at Koh Lanta.
Speedboats (ferries) operate only during non-stormy season from November 1 until May 15.
If you plan to buy tickets for a speedboat from Phuket to Koh Lipe or vice versa, it is good to know that the speedboats don't go in a straight line. They stop at the following islands: Koh Phi-Phi, Koh Lanta, Koh Nga, Koh Mook, Koh Kradan.
A trip on a speedboat is an opportunity to visit one or more islands in addition to Phuket and Koh Lipe.
After all, it is not necessary to at once cover the whole distance from Phuket to Ko Lipe. You can stop for a day or two on any of the islands along the route of the speedboat.
Here is a fascinating route with a rest on tropical islands, for example:
- Take a ferry from Phuket to Koh Phi Phi, stay 2 - 3 nights in a hotel on Koh Phi Phi, to have time to climb the observation deck, attend a beach party and go on a sea excursion.
- A ferry or speedboat from Koh Phi Phi to Koh Lanta, 3 - 4 night in a hotel on Koh Lanta, to go canoeing through the mangroves, to relax on the beach, to go on several excursions.
- A speedboat from Koh Lanta to Koh Mook. Koh Mook has a fabulously beautiful Koh Mook Sivalai Beach Resort for complete relaxation.
- A speedboat from Koh Mook to Koh Lipe.
These links can save you time looking for hotels on the islands:
- hotels on Koh Phi Phi: booking.com and agoda.com,
- hotels on Koh Lanta: booking.com and agoda.com,
- hotels on Koh Ngai: booking.com and agoda.com,
- hotels on Koh Mook: booking.com and agoda.com,
- hotels on Koh Kradan: booking.com and agoda.com,
- hotels on Koh Lipe : booking.com and agoda.com.
Ticket price for a speed boat from Phuket to Koh Lipe - 3400 baht (~ $ 85):
- Seats are limited, so it's best to book tickets in advance.
- Speed boats run between Phuket and Koh Lipe from November 1 until May 15.
- Based on my experience traveling to Koh Lipe, I can recommend Satun Pakbara Speed Boat Club - because of its professional staff and new speed boats. Speedboat tickets from Phuket to Koh Lipe (and the islands in between) are easy to buy online at the 12go.Asia website.
What to bring on for a trip by speedboat:
- pills for motion sickness and take them 15-20 minutes before the departure of the boat,
- drinking water or any other drink,
- sun cream and apply the cream to exposed skin before boarding,
- scarf or shawl to protect from strong winds or rain,
- earplugs, a hat, or your favourite music to cover your ears from the constant whistle of the wind.
The most convenient way to get from Phuket to Koh Lipe is available all year round
If you want to avoid a 5-hour sea journey that cannot be called comfortable because of the waves and wind, you will definitely prefer another way to get from Phuket to Koh Lipe:
- An airplane from Phuket to Hat Yai depart from Phuket at 09:40 and lands in Hat Yai at 10:45 (1-hour direct flight),
- A comfortable minibus from the airport to the Pak Bara pier meets you at the airport with a sign at 11:00 - 11:30. The way from the airport to the speedboat pier is about 2 hours (119 km).
- A speedboat from Pak Bara pier to Koh Lipe has a stop for 10 minutes on Koh Tarutao, and you can walk around the island. The boat arrives at 15:00 - 15:30 in Koh Lipe island, on Pattaya beach.
It has been verified from personal experience that this is the most convenient and not tiring option to get from Phuket to Koh Lipe.
Travel cost from Phuket to Koh Lipe:
- Direct flight Phuket - Hat Yai by Bangkok Airways costs about 1,500 baht ~ $ 40, including 20 kg luggage and a light snack during the flight,
- Transfer by minibus and speedboat from Hat Yai airport to Koh Lipe costs 900 baht ~ 25$ (based on my positive experience, I can recommend a trip at 11:30 with Satun Pakbara).
Buying a transfer at the airport or separately tickets for a minibus to the pier and a boat to Lipe Island will cost more. Checked.
The cheapest way to get from Phuket to Koh Lipe
To save money on tickets and one night at the hotel, you can come to Hat Yai by night bus. Several buses depart from Phuket to Hat Yai throughout the day.
The night bus leaves Phuket at 21:30 and arrives in Hat Yai at 05:00 the next morning. A bus ticket costs about 500 baht (~ $15).
Transfer from Hat Yai Bus Station to Koh Lipe Island costs 900 baht (~ $25) and includes:
- a comfortable air-conditioned minibus to Pak Bara pier,
- a speedboat from Pak Bara pier arrives in Koh Lipe at 14:00 - 15:00.
Additional expenses for a Phuket - Koh Lipe trip
- Entrance to Lipe Island and all other islands of the Tarutao National Park - 200 baht ~ $ 5. Pay once, valid for 5 days. Take a ticket with you for all sea excursions to avoid extra payment.
- Entrance to the Pak Bara pier, from where speedboats leave for Koh Lipe - 20 baht.
- Entrance to the pier on Koh Lanta (if you want to take a walk during the speedboat stop) - 10 baht.
Things to do in Koh Lipe - interesting excursions and activities
In addition to sandy beaches, atmospheric bars and cafes, impressive sunsets and sunrises, it is worth getting to know the rich underwater world around Koh Lipe:
- sea tour of 4 islands with snorkeling,
- scuba diving (experience is not required),
- sunset boat trip on a sailboat,
- you can charter a private boat for a sea tour if you travel in a large company or prefer an individual approach.
How to get from Koh Lipe to Phuket
The fastest way is by speedboat from Koh Lipe to Phuket at 9:00 morning. He arrives in Phuket at 14:30 (ticket price 3400 baht ~ $ 85). Speedboats are available from November 1 to May 15.
The second option is available all year round. First, you need to get from Koh Lipe to Hat Yai, then go to Phuket by bus or by plane:
- Speedboats from Koh Lipe to Pak Bara Pier leave at 09:00 mornimg. You can arrive in Hat Yai at 13:30 if you take a transfer by speed boat and minibus (~ 900 baht)
- A direct flight from Hat Yai to Phuket leaves at 15:00 and you can catch it on the same day.
- A bus departed from Hat Yai bus station at 18:00 (ticket price is about 500 baht),