If you're planning a trip to the beautiful island of Koh Lanta, you may be wondering how to get there. The distance distance from nearest town Krabi is approximately 40 kilometers by sea or 85 kilometers by land, including a ferry crossing. Fortunately, this article has got you covered! We'll provide you with all the information you need to get from Ao Nang, Railay, Krabi Town, or Krabi Airport to your hotel on Koh Lanta, including transportation options, the cost of transportation and ferry tickets, and the estimated travel time.
Contents of this article:
- Koh Lanta on the map and how to get to the island
- How to get to Koh Lanta from Krabi town, Ao Nang, Railay by boat or ferry
- The most scenic way to get from Krabi to Koh Lanta
- Transfers from Krabi to hotel on Koh Lanta at any time of the year and day
- Rent a car and enjoy the freedom to travel around Thailand
- The Cheapest Way to Get from Krabi Airport to Koh Lanta
- The best transport from Krabi to Koh Lanta
- Summary table for transport options from Krabi to Koh Lanta
from Krabi to Koh Lanta from Krabi Airport to Koh Lanta Car for rent in Krabi
Koh Lanta on the map and how to get to the island
To get to Koh Lanta, you have the option of traveling by land or sea.
To begin with, I suggest looking at the map to understand how you can get to Koh Lanta.
Koh Lanta is actually made up of two islands:
- Koh Lanta Yai is the main tourist island. This is where you'll find all the popular beaches and hotels. When tourists talk about "Koh Lanta," they are usually referring to this island.
- Koh Lanta Noi serves as a transit island for tourists. Travelers use Koh Lanta Noi to get from the mainland to their final destination - a hotel on Koh Lanta Yai.
Koh Lanta Noi and Koh Lanta Yai are connected by a bridge, making it easy to travel between the two.
If you're traveling to Koh Lanta by land (by minibus, taxi or rental car), your journey will consist of several stages.
- First, you'll need to take the road from Krabi Airport to Hua Hin Koh Lanta Pier.
- From there, you'll take a ferry from the mainland to Koh Lanta Noi.
- Once you arrive on Koh Lanta Noi, you'll transfer over the bridge to Koh Lanta Yai.
- Finally, you'll take the road to your hotel, which is located on the north or west coast of Koh Lanta Yai where all the popular beaches and hotels are located.
If you prefer to travel to Koh Lanta by sea, there are regular ferry services from Krabi, Phi Phi Island, and Phuket to the Saladan Pier on the noth of Koh Lanta Yai.Ferry schedules may vary depending on the time of year, so be sure to check in advance.
How to get to Koh Lanta from Krabi town, Ao Nang, Railay by boat or ferry
If you're looking to travel from Krabi to Koh Lanta by the sea, there are several options available depending on your location. My advice: choose transport and route according to where exactly you are staying in Krabi province (for example, it could be Ao Nang, Railay or Krabi town).
Ferry and speedboat availability from Krabi to Koh Lanta depends on the season:
- during the tourist season, you'll have the choice between fast speed boats and more comfortable ferries.
- however, during the stormy season, sea transport is limited or non-existent, and you'll have to travel to Koh Lanta by land.
Ferries and speedboats can depart from several locations:
- from the Nopparat Thara pier in Ao Nang (you can purchase a ticket with a transfer from your hotel in Ao Nang to the pier),
- from Railay East Pier,
- from Chaofar Pier in the center of Krabi town.
The most scenic way to get from Krabi to Koh Lanta
Consider taking a ferry, if you're looking for a scenic way to travel from Krabi, Railay, or Ao Nang to Koh Lanta.
The advantages of taking a ferry from Krabi to Koh Lanta include
- speed (the journey takes around 2 hours),
- you can enjoy the beautiful scenery from the open deck of the ferry,
- comfortable seating with plenty of space for luggage, and reliable service,
- tickets can be purchased in advance online.
You can take a ferry from Krabi Town, Ao Nang and Railay from late November until May. There is no sea traffic between Krabi and Koh Lanta during the storm season from June to October.
The cost of the trip by the sea from Krabi to Koh Lanta:
- a comfortable ferry - around 550 baht,
- a speedboat ranging from 1100 to 1400 baht.
It's recommended to purchase tickets in advance to ensure a place on the ferry or the speedboat.
Transfers from Krabi to hotel on Koh Lanta at any time of the year and day
If you're looking for a quick and comfortable way to get to your hotel on Lanta Island from Krabi, consider an individual transfer by taxi.
Your driver will meet you at the airport or your hotel, assist with your luggage, and get you to your hotel in about 3 hours.
The travel time will depend on the ferry workload between the mainland and Ko Lanta Noi.
Prices for an individual transfer from Krabi to Koh Lanta start at 2,100 baht per car (~$75), depending on the car's size and class.
Be aware that some transfers may offer lower prices, but only take you to Hua Hin Koh Lanta Pier, meaning you'll need to take a ferry and a taxi to get to your hotel. To avoid any hassle, it's better to book a transfer directly to your hotel on Koh Lanta.
Here are the benefits of taking a transfer:
- Comfortable - you can select a car that fits your needs and your baggage size.
- Available at any time of the day (except for night time when there is no ferry service to Koh Lanta).
In my opinion, the only drawback to taking a private transfer is the price, especially if you're traveling alone or as a couple. However, if you value convenience and comfort, private transfer may be worth the cost.
Rent a car and enjoy the freedom to travel around Thailand
If you want to explore the many beaches and sights of Thailand, including Krabi and Koh Lanta, renting a car is a great option.
Benefits of renting a car:
- freedom - you can go anywhere, anytime your heart desires.
- savings - you can save money on taxis and transfers, especially if you plan on doing a lot of local travel.
Drawbacks of renting a car:
- Adapting to left-hand traffic and the unusual driving style of the locals can be challenging.
Car rental prices start from $22 per day. You can book a car in advance for pick-up at Krabi airport.
The Cheapest Way to Get from Krabi Airport to Koh Lanta
Minibuses are the cheapest way to get from Ao Nang, Krabi Town or Krabi Airport to Koh Lanta.
When buying minibus tickets, be sure to pay attention to the point of departure, as the cheapest options depart from the Krabi bus station.
You can buy a ticket to secure your seat on the minibus:
Benefits of minibuses:
- cheap - the ticket costs 330 baht (~ $ 8),
- convenient - a minibus delivers passengers directly to their hotels on Koh Lanta.
Drawbacks of minibuses from Krabi to Koh Lanta:
- Long travel time - the journey will take at least 3 hours.
- Uncomfortable - passengers with large suitcases are required to purchase an additional ticket for their luggage. However, many travelers ignore this rule, resulting in cramped seating for passengers and they are often packed in like sardines in a can.
The best transport from Krabi to Koh Lanta
When it comes to traveling from Ao Nang, Railay, Krabi town or Krabi Airport to Koh Lanta, there are several options to consider.
Your choice of transport will depend on your preferences and priorities:
- Order an individual transfer: If you value comfort and convenience, especially when traveling with small children, an individual transfer by taxi may be the best choice. The driver will meet you at the airport or your hotel, and take you directly to your hotel on Koh Lanta.
- Choose a ferry: For those who enjoy scenic boat trips and panoramic views, taking a ferry from Krabi to Koh Lanta can be a memorable experience. However, keep in mind that ferry schedules may be subject to changes and cancellations due to weather conditions.
- Buy a minivan ticket: If you're on a budget and don't mind a longer journey, taking a minivan from Krabi to Koh Lanta can be a cheaper option. However, be prepared for a crowded ride, especially during peak tourist season.
- Rent a car: If you love to drive and want to see all the beaches and sights of Koh Lanta.
By considering these factors, you can choose the right transport option to get from Krabi to Koh Lanta that best fits your needs and preferences.
Summary table for transport options from Krabi to Koh Lanta
|Type of transport||Time in way||Cost / price||Order / Buy|
|Ferry / speedboat||1.5 - 2,5 hours||
from 550 baht/px
|buy a ticket|
|Transfer (taxi)||3 hours||from 2100 baht/car||order a taxi|
|Rented car||3 hours||from 710 baht/day||find a car|
|Minivan||> 4 hours||330 baht/px||buy a ticket|
An article you might be interested in - The best destinations to go in Krabi (Thailand).