The distance from the city of Krabi town to the island of Koh Lanta is about 40 km by sea or 85 km by land, including a ferry crossing. This article gives you all the information you will need to get from Krabi Town or Krabi Airport to your hotel on Koh Lanta. It covers transportation options, cost of transportation and ferry tickets, and how long it takes to get to Koh Lanta from Krabi.
Contents of this article:
- The Way to Koh Lanta by land or sea
- The fastest and most convenient way to get from Krabi to Koh Lanta
- Transfer from Krabi Airport to hotel on Koh Lanta at any time of the day
- Rent a car and get freedom of movement in Thailand
- The cheapest way to get from Krabi Airport to Koh Lanta
- What type of transport should you choose to get from Krabi Airport to Koh Lanta
- Summary table for all types of transport from Krabi to Koh Lanta
The Way to Koh Lanta by land or sea
Look at this map to understand how to get to Koh Lanta by land.
Koh Lanta is comprised of two islands:
- Koh Lanta Yai is the main tourist island. All the popular beaches and hotels are located on its west coast. This is the island you think about when you hear the name “Koh Lanta.”
- Koh Lanta Noi is a stop-over island for tour boats transiting from the mainland to Koh Lanta Yai.
- The road from Krabi airport to Hua Hin Pier,
- Ferry from the mainland to Koh Lanta Noi,
- Transfer from Koh Lanta Noi to Koh Lanta Yai over the bridge,
- the road to your hotel on Koh Lanta Yai.
Koh Lanta also can be reached by sea. Ferries and speedboats from Phuket, Krabi, Phi Phi, Koh Lipe and other Andaman Sea islands arrive in the port of Saladan, also known as the Saladan Pier, in the northern part of Koh Lanta Yai.
The ferry from Krabi to Koh Lanta leaves from the pier at Klong Jilad Pier Krabi, which is located in the center of Krabi town.
The fastest and most convenient way to get from Krabi to Koh Lanta
The ferry ride from the pier in Krabi to the port on Koh Lanta takes 1 hour. If you are coming from Krabi airport, you need to add 45 minutes for your transfer from the airport to the pier in Krabi Town (Klong Jilad Pier Krabi). Either way, the ferry ride is about twice as fast as ground transportation.
The advantages of a ferry from Krabi to Koh Lanta:
- fast - 1 hour from Krabi to Koh Lanta, plus 45 minutes transfer from the airport to the pier,
- scenic - by sitting on the open deck of the ferry you can enjoy beautiful views
- comfortable - there is enough space on the ferry to accommodate luggage,
- reliable - tickets can be bought in advance via the Internet.
Disadvantages of a ferry from Krabi to Koh Lanta:
- The ferry departs from the pier once a day at 09:00 am. Transfer from the airport to the pier - at 08:15 am. If you arrive late, you will either need to stay overnight at a hotel in Krabi, or choose another type of transport to Koh Lanta.
- The ferry runs between Krabi and Koh Lanta from November to late April. During the summer months (storm season), there is no connection by sea between Krabi and Lanta Island.
- The ferry ticket does not include a transfer from Saladan Pier to your hotel on Koh Lanta. However it is easy to find a taxi near the pier for 100 - 400 baht (~ $ 3 - $ 12).
The cost of the ferry from Krabi to Koh Lanta is 950 baht per person (~ $ 30), transfer from the airport to the pier in Krabi Town costs 300 baht/px (~ $ 9).
Tickets are worth buying in advance to guarantee a place on the ferry and transfer from the airport to the pier in Krabi Town.
Transfer from Krabi Airport to hotel on Koh Lanta at any time of the day
If you arrive in Krabi after 8 am and you want to get from the airport to your hotel on Lanta Island as quickly and comfortably as possible, you should consider an individual transfer by taxi.
The driver will meet you at the airport, help with luggage and deliver you to your hotel in about 2.5 hours. The duration of the trip will depend on the workload of the ferry between the mainland and Ko Lanta Noi.
The cost of an individual transfer from Krabi Airport to Koh Lanta starts from 2,400 baht per car (~ $ 75) and depends on the class and size of the car. Please note that some transfers offer a lower price, but promise to deliver you only to Hua Hin Pier (then you need to take the ferry yourself and take a taxi to the hotel on Koh Lanta).
Benefits of transfer:
- comfortable - you can order a car that matches your needs and baggage,
- at any time of the day - with the exception of night time. There is no night ferry to Koh Lanta.
In my opinion, there is only one drawback to a private transfer - the price. It can be expensive, particularly if you are travelling alone or as a couple.
Rent a car and get freedom of movement in Thailand
If you want to see as many beaches and sights in Thailand as possible, including Krabi and Koh Lanta, you should think about renting a car.
The advantages of cars for rent:
- freedom - you can go anywhere, and any time your heart desires,
- savings on taxis and transfers, if you plan on a lot of local transportation.
Disadvantages of cars for rent:
- It can sometimes be difficult to adapt to left-hand traffic and the unusual driving style of the locals.
The cost of cars for rent - from $ 22 per day. The car can be ordered in advance for pick-up at Krabi airport.
The cheapest way to get from Krabi Airport to Koh Lanta
Minivans from hotels and bus stations in Krabi Town to hotels on Koh Lanta island run from 7 am to 5 pm. If you are traveling to Koh Lanta from the Krabi Town, then you can buy a ticket from the door of the hotel in Krabi to the door of the hotel on Koh Lanta for just 360 baht.
It can be difficult to get on a minivan from Krabi airport. Usually, minibus drivers try to pick up all their passengers in Krabi Town and pass the airport fully loaded. To catch a minivan to Koh Lanta, you must first get from the airport to the bus station in Krabi Town (Take a bus for 50 baht or a taxi for 300 baht).
Advantages of minibuses:
- cheap - the ticket costs 360 baht (~ $ 11),
- frequent - every hour from 7 am to 5 pm,
- convenient - a minibus delivers passengers directly to their hotels on Koh Lanta.
Disadvantages of minibuses from Krabi to Koh Lanta:
- long - the road will take at least 3 hours,
- uncomfortable - passengers with large suitcases are supposed to buy an additional ticket for their luggage. But most cheap travel lovers ignore this rule. As a result, minibus passengers are often packed in like sardines.
What type of transport should you choose to get from Krabi Airport to Koh Lanta
The choice of transport depends on your preferences:
- If you prefer comfort or traveling with small children, it is better to order an individual transfer.
- If you like boat trips and beautiful panoramic views - choose a ferry.
- If you prefer the cheapest option - be patient and buy a minivan ticket.
Summary table for all types of transport from Krabi to Koh Lanta
|Type of transport||Time in way||Cost / price||Order / Buy|
1 hour from Krabi town
1:45 from Krabi airport
|buy a ticket|
|Transfer (taxi)||2:30 hours||from 2400 baht/car||order a taxi|
|Rented car||2:30 hours||from 710 baht/day||find a car|
|Minivan||minimum 3 hours||360 baht/px||buy a ticket|
Useful links to save your time and money:
- Find cheap flights to Thailand - SkyScanner and JetRadar.
- Easy book cheap flights across Asia - Airpaz.
- Save money on a hotel by booking at the best price - Hotellook and HotelCombined.
- Rent a car at any airport in Thailand - EconomyBookings или Rentalcars.
- Buy tickets for buses, ferries and trains in Thailand - 12go.asia.
- Book airport transfer in Thailand - Intui.travel или Kiwitaxi.
- Buy entrance tickets and tours with discounts - Klook.