Koh Lipe is an island in the Andaman Sea. It is located in the south of Thailand, on the border with Malaysia. This article will tell you how to get to Koh Lipe from Bangkok, Hat Yai, Phuket, Phi Phi, Krabi, Koh Lanta and other regions of Thailand, or from Malaysia or Singapore. What is the quickest and easiest way to buy tickets.
The route Phuket - Ko Lipe is detailed in the article How to get from Phuket to Koh Lipe or vice versa
Koh Lipe on the map - nearest airports and ports
However you plan to get to Koh Lipe, at least the last leg of your journey to Koh Lipe will be by sea.
The nearest port in Thailand, from which speedboats and ferries to Koh Lipe depart, is called Pak Bara Pier and the distance from it to Koh Lipe is 63 kilometres.
The nearest port in Malaysia is on Langkawi Island and the distance from it to Koh Lipe is 43 kilometres.
Here are usefull links:
- Ferry / speedboats timetables and tickets from Pak Bara Pier - Koh Lipe,
- Ferry timetables and tickets Langkaki - Ko Lipe.
The nearest airports to Ko Lipe Island are:
- Langkawi International Airport (Malaysia) - about 45 kilometres by the sea,
- Hat Yai International Airport Thailand - about 123 kilometres by land to Pak Bara pier and then another 63 kilometres by the sea.
How to get to Koh Lipe from Hat Yai, Bangkok and other cities in Thailand
Hat Yai is the closest Thai airport to Koh Lipe. There are flights arriving at Hat Yai airport:
- from Thai airports: Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket and Udon Thani,
- from the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur,
- from Singapore.
Hat Yai can be described as a transport centre as it has a large railway station and a bus station. Therefore, it is possible to get to Hat Yai by train and bus.
Buy plane, train and bus tickets in Thailand and other Asian countries conveniently at 12Go.Asia website.
The journey from Hat Yai to Koh Lipe consists of two stages:
- Hat Yai - Pak Bara Pier by minibus or taxi,
- Pak Bara Pier - Lipe Island by speedboat, boats run all year round but may not go out to sea if there is a strong storm.
It is cheaper and more convenient to buy a combined transfer from Hat Yai to Ko Lipe, which includes a minibus from Hat Yai to the pier and a speedboat ticket to Koh Lipe.
The journey from Hat Yai to Ko Lipe takes 5.5 hours.
How to get to Koh Lipe from Phuket, Phi Phi and Koh Lanta
From 1 November to 15 May, speedboats run between Koh Lipe and other islands in the Andaman Sea.
Speedboats can take you to Koh Lipe Island from Phuket, Phi Phi island, Koh Lanta, Koh Muk and Koh Kradan.
I would like to point out that with speedboats you can stop for several days on any of the islands on the route, travelling from one island to another, resting for several days on any of the islands on the route. In this way, an ordinary journey from one island to another can be turned into an interesting adventure.
Of course you can do the whole itinerary in one go. It's up to you. But bear in mind that travelling by speedboat can be tiring when the sea is choppy. So avoid long speedboat rides.
Tip: Phuket - Phi Phi Phi - Ko Lanta is better travelled by ferry, which is much bigger and more comfortable than a speedboat.
Duration of the speedboat trip to Ko Lipe from other islands with links to the website where you can easily find out the price and buy tickets:
- Phuket - Ko Lipe - the speedboat journey will take about 5 hours.
- Koh Phi Phi - Koh Lipe - 4.5 hours.
- Koh Lanta - Koh Lipe - 3 hours,
- Koh Ngai - Koh Lipe - 2.5 hours,
- Koh Kradan to Koh Lipe - 1 hour and 45 minutes travelling time,
- Koh Muk - Koh Lipe - 2 hours travelling time.
If you decide to stay on one of the islands along the speedboat route, here are links to hotels on each island to save you time looking for accommodation:
- hotels on Koh Phi-Phi: booking.com и agoda.com,
- hotels on Koh Lanta: booking.com и agoda.com,
- hotels on Koh Ko Ngai: booking.com и agoda.com,
- hotels on Koh Mook: booking.com или agoda.com,
- hotels on Koh Kradan: booking.com или agoda.com,
- hotels on Koh Lipe: booking.com или agoda.com.
How to get to Ko Lipe from Krabi (including Ao Nang)
From Krabi town or Ao Nang to Ko Lipe it takes about 6.5 hours:
- Take a minibus or taxi from Krabi to Pak Bara pier,
- and then take a boat from Pak Bara pier to Koh Lipefrom Pak Bara pier to Koh Lipe.
To make sure you're on time for the speedboat, it's best to buy a combined ticket (which includes a transfer to the pier and a boat ticket).
If you decide to go via Koh Lanta, you can spend a few days exploring the interesting places on the island - Transport on Koh Lanta - taxi, cars for rent, bikes and bicycles.
How to get to Koh Lipe from Singapore and Malaysia
There are flights from Malaysia's capital Kuala Lumpur and Singapore to both airports:
- Langkawi Airport (Malaysia) - Koh Lipe is about 40 kilometres by sea,
- Hat Yai Airport (Thailand) - Koh Lipe is approximately 123 kilometres by road to Pak Bara Pier and then another 63 kilometres by sea.
A handy website where you can find the best mode of transport and quickly buy tickets online is 12Go Asia.
Here is the article that may be useful to you - Internet in Thailand - everything tourists should know.