This article will help you figure out how many international airports there are in Istanbul, where they are located on the map, and how to get from the airport to the city. You will also learn how to quickly find out which Istanbul airport your plane will arrive at and how to buy tickets to the airport you want to get to.
- How many airports are in Istanbul
- Istanbul airports in one table (name, codes, taxi, and hotels)
- All Istanbul Airports on the Map
- Transport from Istanbul airports to the city centre
- Hotels in and near Istanbul Airports
- How to find out which airport a plane arrives at
- Connecting flights in Istanbul with transfer to another airport
How many airports are in Istanbul
Currently, there are two operating airports in Istanbul: Istanbul Airport and Sabiha Gokcen Airport.
- The New Istanbul Airport (IATA code IST) has been the main airport in Istanbul and Turkey since April 2019,
- while Sabiha Gokcen Airport (IATA code SAW) is dedicated mainly to low-cost airlines.
- The Ataturk Airport was closed in 2019, as it had become too small to handle the growing number of flights.
Find cheap flights to Istanbul Hotels and appartments Things to do in Istanbul
Istanbul airports in one table (name, codes, taxi, and hotels)
|Airport||Istanbul Airport||Sabiha Goksen Airport|
|Local Name||İstanbul Havalimanı||Sabiha Gökçen Havalimanı|
|Taxi transfers to/from hotels in Istanbul||find a taxi transfer||find a taxi transfer|
|Hotels in the airport||
Kepler Club (international transit area)
Taxi transfer from IST to SAW
or vice versa
All Istanbul Airports on the Map
The new Istanbul Airport has grown outside the city, on the Black Sea coast, and is approximately 40 km from the historical centre of Istanbul.
Sabiha Gokcen Budget Airport is on the outskirts of the Asian part of Istanbul.
Transport from Istanbul airports to the city centre
The metro line from the New Airport to Istanbul was launched on January 21, 2023.
Tip: Book a taxi transfer to get from the airport to your hotel in Istanbul quickly and easily.
The metro line from Istanbul Airport (M11) does not go to the centre of Istanbul. It will only take you from the airport to the Kağıthane station, where you can transfer to the M7 line. However, the M7 line does not lead to the centre of Istanbul either. To get to the city centre, you need to take the M2 metro line or T1 tram.
If you decide to take the metro from the airport, this article will come in handy - How to pay for public transport in Istanbul and save money with Istanbulkart.
From the New Istanbul Airport to the city centre can be reached:
- by buses,
- by airport taxi,
- or by a taxi transfer.
More details you can find in the article How to Get from Istanbul Airport to the City.
Sabiha Gokcen Airport is in the Asian part of Istanbul and can be reached by:
- Metro - Sabiha Gokcen Airport M4 Metro Line running between Kadıkoy and Sabiha Gokcen Airport has launched in October 2022.
- Public buses,
- Havaist Shuttles buses to/from Taxim and Kadıkoy.
- Airport metered taxi, or by taxi transfer with fixed price.
This article you may find useful - How to get from Istanbul Airport to Sabiha Gokcen Airport.
Hotels in and near Istanbul Airports
There are two hotels in Istanbul Airport (IST) building:
- YotelAir hotel in the transit area (suitable for passengers with international connecting flights),
- Yotel hotel in the check-in area for those flying domestic flights.
Hotels nearby Istanbul airport (IST)
Sabiha Gökcen Airport hotels:
- ISG Sabiha Gökcen Airport Hotel is the closest hotel to the airport,
- Kepler Club Sabiha Gökçen Airport hotel is in International Transit Area.
How to find out which airport a plane arrives at
Since Ataturk Airport was closed, you have no chance of arriving there. You can safely delete it from your options.
There are two operating airports in Istanbul:
- Istanbul Airport (IST)
- Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW).
To find out which airport your flight will arrive at, simply check your ticket or itinerary.
Find cheap flights to Istanbul
If the destination is Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) or Istanbul (SAW), your flight will arrive at Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport.
If the destination is Istanbul (IST) or New Istanbul Airport (IST), you will have the opportunity to see the sheer size of Turkey's largest airport and check out the level of service at the New Istanbul Airport. Be sure that your plane will arrive at Istanbul Airport.
You can use Kiwi com to find cheap flights to Istanbul. Pay attention to which Istanbul airport your plane will arrive at - Sabiha Airport (SAW) or the new Istanbul Airport (IST).
Connecting flights in Istanbul with transfer to another airport
If you have a connecting flight in Istanbul and need to change airports, make sure you allow enough time for the transfer.
It's recommended to plan at least 1.5 hours for the trip from one airport to another, plus the time needed for all airport procedures at each airport. Keep in mind that Istanbul is a large city, so traffic can be heavy, and unexpected delays can happen.
You can find more information on how to transfer between Istanbul's airports in the article How to get from Istanbul Airport to Sabiha Gokcen Airport.